The Concours d’Elegance is certainly one of the highlights of the annual convention. Here, the finest and most prestigious Corvairs compete for points within different classes - the name is the French phrase for "competition of elegance". The vehicles are thoroughly inspected and judged based upon paint and bodywork, trim and trunk or cargo area, wheels, tires and glass, undercarriage, engine, operations, and interior.
There are three judging classes, defined as (in a nutshell):
- Factory Stock - vehicles unmodified from their original factory assembly specifications. The two subcategories are Original and Restored.
- Modified - corvair bodied vehicles that have been altered from their stock condition.
- Engineering - vehicle using major corvair components (e.g., flat-six powered dune-buggies and ultra vans)
Vehicles are also placed into two categories, defined as (in a nutshell):
- Senior - vehicles that have previously won gold awards
- Primary - all other vehicles
Award levels are determined as:
- Gold - 96.00 to 100 points
- Silver - 92.0 to 95.99
- Bronze - 88.0 to 91.99
The concours events schedule at this year's Pittsburgh Convention is:
- Concours Judges Meeting . . . . . . 11:45 am — 12:15 pm
- Concours Participants Meeting . . .12:15 pm —1:00 pm
- Concours Judges Training . . . . . . . .1:00 pm — 2:00 pm
- Concours Classification . . . . . . . . . . 2:00 pm — 5:00 pm
- Concours Setup . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6:30 am — 8:00 am
- Concours d’Elegance . . . . . . . . . . . . 9:00 am — 4:00 pm
Not a member of CORSA? Please consider joining, and click this link to find more about CORSA membership.
The 2018 CORSA convention in Pittsburgh, July 23 – 28, is hosted by the Western Pennsylvania Corvair Club. Visit the WPCC Convention web page for hotel reservations, event scheduling and other convention information. Anyone can attend the Convention and register at the host hotel. Registration is now open to CORSA Members for tours, events, vender space, the banquet, etc, from the Corsa Convention web page.